H M Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has the power to open an enquiry into any tax return or set of business accounts. No reasons are given for opening enquiries and thousands are started every year at random.
Since the merger of HM Customs & Excise and the Inland Revenue, the risk of an enquiry is greater than ever and the costs of dealing with these enquiries have increased. In addition to their existing powers HMRC now has the power to inspect business premises and review the assets and records contained therein. The definition of business premises includes any property from which trade is conducted, it will therefore include your house if you work there and claim expenses in your accounts for related costs.
To provide you with extra security, the practice is insured in respect of the charges for such work.
The service includes the following benifits:
- Representation in the event of an HMRC aspect enquiry, which does not include a request to examine all books and records, into a personal or business tax return.
- Representation in the event of an HMRC full enquiry, which includes a request to examine all books and records, into a personal or business tax return.
- Representation in the event of a PAYE, NIC or VAT dispute.
- The service for a limited company or business partnership also includes each director, partner and their spouse or civil partner, provided that we complete the individual’s tax return, although this is subject to additional personal limits as detailed in the enclosed leaflet.
- Telephone access to Qdos specialists on any matter relating to employment and health & safety law and it’s associated compliance requirements.